2010/06/21

Off to Explore

My son and his good friend left for Italy yesterday, to hopefully earn their Explorer Belts. I so wish that the Internet had been around when I was a kid! Things like this were rumours and legends in our group back in the 80ies.
Posing for the camera

For those of you who aren't familliar with the EB, it originated in the UK in 1962 and there are a few countries that still do it, in spite of insurance and security paranoia. The Swedish EB pretty much follows the original expedition plan (more information about EB in the UK can be found here) and the Scouts hike in pairs, for about 100 miles over ten days, in unknown territory, solving a number of small tasks that involves making contact with the locals.


Ida's granddad has laminated an emergancy note, with the condition that they will have had to starve for three days before using it.

It is ever so exciting even to us, left at home, as we have no clue to where our kids are off too either! We've been promised that an itinary will arrive in the post this afternoon, with a program. That will be very interesting. Even if my son is 18, this is his first really independent trip, and I'm so glad that he does it with Scouts, rather than partying in Turkey or Spain with his classmates.
On to the train bound for Malmoe, where they will meet up with the rest of the expedition for a 24 hour bus ride to Italy.

2 comments:

Chris Meadows aka Kiff said...

Hello

I wish your son and his girlfriend all the very best on their travels.

It was the one Scouting Award I never go the chance to try for and I would really like to have done.

Yours in Scouting
Kiff
www.jabbering.co.uk

Adam said...

I hope I get to do something like this while I'm in scouts!