2010/03/26

Wrapping up and leaving

There are times you have to pack up and leave. Either you go gladly, in other cases reluctantly. I've just handed over the responsability for the district's training scheme to Thomas, who I'm sure will do a marvelous job of it.
I do so reluctantly, but just because I'm a bit egotistical. I've enjoyed the position of Training Officer, and the perks that come with the job: You get to meet lovely, intelligent and interested people, you get the opportunaty to great training, and you get to be a part of people's development. But really, for the last year or so I haven't done a great job. Definately not as great as I wanted to, anyway. So I decided that it was time to go.
You sometimes see that in groups: People that are stuck in positions that they really don't have time, energy or even the passion for anymore, but for various reasons they just don't move on. The most common, I think, is that they think that if they go everything will fall apart. However much we want to believe this, it is very rarely true. If you are only a leader because noone else is available, you will be leader because noone else is available for a very long time. Because you are available. If you go, another sollution will have to be found. It might not be the same as it was before, but there will be a sollution.
Sometimes a staying on is very irresponsable, as it may keep the group from moving forward. If you haven't got the time or energy to do anything but maintaining status quo, you won't move anything forward, and eventually the momentum is gone and instead there is the definate risk of the carrige starting to slowly roll backwards, and most likely by then you will notice that the scouts will jump.
Then there is, like in my case, those who stay on to enjoy the perks. How ever innocent this may seem, you have to step back and evaluate: Do I deserve them? I found I didn't anymore.
The work on the book is coming up to not the final stretch, but the final feet of the finish line. And now I get nervous. I know that I am proud of my work, of my baby. But how will others see it? What will they think about the fact that there is a complete lack of advanced knots or first aid skills, but advanced group process theory and life skills? There will be lots of people crying: This is not scouting! But I feel comforted in the FACT (as I in this work has reread Scouting for Boys and a few of the earlier program materials aimed at the scout, not the leader) that we follow a straight tradition of a century in providing young people with the necessary skills of becoming healthy, happy and responsable adults.

No comments: